I just ran into a weird behaviour on one of my local Domino running on Linux: the server was not available but there were all processes active when I fired top in the console. But they weren't really active as CPU time was below 1% - which is suspicous.
pstree gave the answer: several "Zombie" processes like
pop3 were still around.
killall -u notes
did not work out. I learned that killall just sends the SIGTERM command to the process. In this case I needed something even harder, the SIGKILL command.
I finally ended up with a
killall -s SIGKILL -u notes
to evaporate all the Zombies - and I was able to start the server normally afterwards